The Commission on Higher Education Regional Office 2 (CHED RO2) participated in the First Quarter National Simultaneous Earthquake Drill (NSED) spearheaded by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) and the Office of the Civil Defense (OCD) on March 9, 2023. NSED is a quarterly activity that aims to promote disaster preparedness and resilience and reminds the public to do the following steps and protocols when an earthquake occurs:
• When inside a building, stay calm and do the “Duck, Cover and Hold”;
• Duck under a strong table and hold on to it. Stay alert for potential threats;
• Stay away from glass windows, shelves, and heavy objects;
• After the shaking stops, exit the building and go to the designated evacuation area;
• When you are outside, move to an open area, stay away from buildings, trees, electric posts, and landslide-prone areas;
• If you are in a moving vehicle, stop and exit the vehicle.
Lately, some parts of the country were struck by earthquakes and series of aftershocks causing casualties and damages to various infrastructures.